Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Knitting!


So, a few of weeks ago or so I had a terrible day - daniel bit me on my chin really hard and he wanted me to hold him all day or he would cry. It was aweful!! My friend and neighbor Marika knew of my aweful day. In the evening I was already at the church for cub scouts (I am a leader) and some women were getting together to knit just as scouting was finishing, so Marika grabbed me and I learned how to knit. I already crochet a lot (but I only know one stitch and just do scarves) so I was used to dealing with yarn.

So I decided that for mother's day I wanted some knitting needles and yarn that is good for making washclothes. I chose to get wood needles even though they were a little more expensive than the cheepest stuff. I am soooo glad that I did! It feels so good to the touch - now when I go back to crocheting the metal feels sooo aweful. I think eventually I will get wood crochet hooks too. Anyways, this is my first wash cloth. There are a few holes in it, but not too bad for the first try. I just need to learn how to do the finishing edge. On the next one I am going to go back and forth between rows of knitting and pearling.

Yesterday I went to a knitting store called Wild Purls and WOW it was inspiring!! I really want to learn to knit lots of things. The only thing I don't like about knitting is that it takes like ten times longer to get anything done compared to crocheting.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Alesha said...

How hard is it to learn to knit? I can crochet, but it took awhile to learn because I am left-handed, and no one knew how to teach me. It looks like fun though--and knitted washcloths are the best for washing dishes.

Sarah Ruth Ritchie said...

I like knitting way more than crocheting... I think it is a lot easier to learn too. I do not have wooden sticks but I do want some eventually. I have only knit one scarf and that is it so I think when I get ready to actually get serious about it, I will invest. Your first square looks great!!!

moxie mama said...

knitting is the best ever! grandpa said your mom might fly you out here when ben goes out of town...well whenever you're here let me know. we'll have some serious knitting dates! if you have all your basics down i could help you with those pants! :) also you should check out ravelry.com it takes a couple days to get all signed up but it is SO worth it!